BY BEX LARSEN
I began my day yesterday with an email to my team outlining my priorities for the remainder of the week, and my plan of action to accomplish them. It became quite clear by the end of the email that I wouldn't be taking time off for my birthday as I had hoped and planned. I promptly cancelled my massage and rescheduled by trip to the science center to focus on my goals for the business. After all, the dinosaurs weren't going anywhere, and neither would my business unless I kept my priorities in check and my momentum strong. I wrote up a quick game plan, and decided I'd do my best to find balance in doing business on my birthday.
Here's how I did it..
1. PROPER PRESENTS: I'm blessed to have a family who loves and supports my goals, and their presents reflected just that. I was gifted a new briefcase and a book on the psychology of success. They nailed it. My computer is no longer being stored in my purse, and the book was a definite home run as my two favorite topics to read about and discuss are business and psychology. I was off to a great start.
2. COFFEE: I knew I needed to be in Orlando on my birthday (I currently commute from Kissimmee), so I made sure to schedule time between meetings to plant myself at my favorite coffee shop to plow through some paperwork I hadn't quite completed the night before. Plus, is it even really your birthday if you don't treat yourself to coffee? Some girls need birthday cake, some girls need coffee - I happen to require Foxtail.
3. CARTWHEELS: Life is more fun upside down! I had to make a quick pit stop at Bailee's house to grab some things and update her on what I'd been working on. After sitting her down to go through the new lists and procedures I put together, she sent me on my way - but not before busting out a few birthday cartwheels for good luck and good measure!
4. SINGING LOUDLY: With a background in music and a PhD in karaoke (okay, I made that last part up), I decided to avoid the highway and take the long drive to and from Orlando instead. I do my best thinking (and singing) when I'm in the car, and long rides are my absolute favorite when I'm not in a rush or running behind schedule. I gave myself plenty of time - so I sang loud, thought hard, and more than likely frightened every car that passed by.
5. A TRIP TO THE BOOKSTORE: I have a real hard time passing a bookstore and not finding an excuse to go inside. Today's excuse? It's my birthday, of course! While I prefer used book stores (and used books in general), Barnes & Noble was right around the corner and calling my name! I found my way up the escalator and to my favorite section - Business. I browsed for a bit, added a few titles to my amazon wish list, then headed out and got back to work! It was a brief trip, but just what I needed. Books are kind of my favorite.
6. HEARING FROM ALL OF YOU: I received an insane amount of messages from friends, family and followers today. While "happy birthday" texts are kind of the norm when you celebrate a birthday, the content was much different than I usually receive or expect to receive on this day. There were hundreds of "happy birthdays", yes.. but there were also dozens of you that reached out to tell me that you're proud of me, or inspired by me, or that you respect my hustle and the way I've handled things. You reminded me that my hard work will pay off, and that it doesn't go unnoticed! Thank you for that. I needed it.
I had a fun but productive day, and think I did a fabulous job at finding the balance between boss and birthday girl! While there's still so much I hope to accomplish before I turn 30, I've learned a lot in the last 29 years, and there's absolutely no slowing me down! Here's to a great year and a great life!